(a) Whoever travels in interstate or foreign commerce or uses the mail or any facility in interstate or foreign commerce, with intent
(1) distribute the proceeds of any unlawful activity; or
(2) commit any crime of violence to further any unlawful activity; or
(3) otherwise promote, manage, establish, carry on, or facilitate the promotion, management, establishment, or carrying on, of
any unlawful activity, and thereafter performs or attempts to perform.
(A) an act described in paragraph (1) or (3) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both; or
(B) an act described in paragraph (2) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both, and if death
results shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
(b) As used in this section (i) “unlawful activity” means
(1) any business enterprise involving gambling, liquor on which the Federal excise tax has not been paid, narcotics or
substances (as defined in section 102(6) of the Controlled Substances Act), or prostitution offenses in violation of the laws of
the State in which they are committed or of the United States,
(2) extortion, bribery, or arson in violation of the laws of the State in which committed or of the United States, or
(3) any act which is indictable under subchapter II of chapter 53 of title 31, United States Code, or under section 1956 or 1957
of this title and
(ii) the term “State” includes a State of the United States, the District of Columbia, and any commonwealth, territory, or
possession of the United States.
(c) Investigations of violations under this section involving liquor shall be conducted under the supervision of the Attorney General.
(d) If the offense under this section involves an act described in paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection (a) and also involves a pre-
retail medical product (as defined in section 670), the punishment for the offense shall be the same as the punishment for an
offense under section 670 unless the punishment under subsection (a) is greater.